Ambiance: Bryon's Dubstep Mashup
Well, I can now officially scratch New York City off my list! This year Bryon and I decided to go to the Big Apple for our annual anniversary trip, and boy did it deliver!
Before we went, I responsibly prepared our itinerary using Frommer's Day by Day and this new app that I found, mtrip NYC. The app was so crucial! It lets your build daily itineraries, see your itinerary on a map, and gives you directions between points. SO much better than pulling out my Frommer's every 10 minutes and looking like a tourist (at least not completely obviously).
Anyway, when I first brought the idea of NYC up to Bryon, he was initially completely against it, even refused to go, because he was so worried that everything was going to be so ridiculously expensive that we wouldn't be able to have any fun and do anything. However, I'm glad to say that he was completely proven wrong. Now, if you're a museum hopper, you might have a problem, but we're more of walk-around-and-enjoy-free-stuff kinda travelers so we got by on about $100/day, which is what I usually plan for when I travel.
I took, no lie, about 1,000 pictures while I was there, but below are some of the highlights from our trip.
First stop: Central Park!
I'd been warned about how huge it is, but I don't think anything can really prepare you for how ridiculously vast this park is! We walked across it, and it seemed like we would never see the other side. So many different spots and areas to chill, run, play sports,... anything you want!
Best hotel ever: The Standard
We stayed with my friend Casey in Brooklyn the first night, so we decided to treat ourselves the last two nights (it was our anniversary, after all!). The hotel was everything we wanted and more! Awesome views, super trendy location, great options for eating, wonderful staff, and did I mention you could still enjoy the view while you SHOWER!?
Sunday: Washington Square Park
Just a great place to hang out on a hot, sunny day!
Monday: Brooklyn Bridge
I was kinda hesitant to attempt walking across the bridge because it was so ridiculously hot outside, but it was so worth the sun exposure! Such a beautifully designed landmark, and it offered great views of the city.
Luxury: Le Bain
Did I mention our hotel was awesome? The Standard has a bar at the top called Le Bain, complete with turf grass, lawn chairs, and overpriced cocktails. SO worth a $14 drink though to enjoy the views of Downtown for an hour!
How Convenient: The Highline
Sorry to be so annoying about our hotel, but it's the first expensive hotel I've really stayed at before! You know how they say real estate is all about "location, location, location"? Well, this place gets an A+. It's on the border of Chelsea and the Meatpacking District, right by the Diane von Furstenburg studio, down the street from the Chelsea Market, and literally right on top of the Highline. We strolled along the Highline every day we were there. So many different places to eat and hang out! I could go back, stay just as long, never leave the area, and still have so much to do. Maybe one day when we are both making way more money, we'll move to Chelsea for a year or so. :)
Short story: If anyone is questioning whether NYC is still fun to go to if you're somewhat broke and don't enjoy super crowded areas, the answer is YES!


No comments:
Post a Comment